Call for papers
We invite APOSHO and IOSH members and non-members to submit a paper to run a technical session on any of the themes and topics detailed below.
We have extended the submission deadline to 02 July 2018. We don’t want anyone to miss out on the chance to present their paper, so we have extended our deadline for abstract submissions. We would particularly like to encourage practitioners to submit papers focusing on good practice examples and case studies of effective OSH management and initiatives in the workplace.
13 June 2018 02 July 2018: Deadline for submission of abstracts*
13 July 2018: Notification of acceptance of abstracts*
30 September 2018: Authors to register for conference*
14 September 2018: Early bird booking fees expire*
12 November 2018: Deadline for submission of PowerPoint presentation and final papers*
04–05 December 2018: The 33rd APOSHO annual conference
06 December 2018: Site visit (tbc)
For APOSHO members:
03 December 2018: APOSHO committees meeting
06 December 2018: APOSHO AGM / site visit tbc
* Deadline: Midnight GMT.
Topic 1: Communicating the safety message
1. The importance of the message and how it is interpreted
• Business/safety leadership in practice
• Incorporation of health and safety culture to incoming/new workers
• Motivation by communication
Topic 2: Incorporating OSH into the sustainability agenda
• How are people motivated to act safely?
• What does good safety leadership look like?
• How can practitioners change their vocabulary to engage and drive change?
Topic 3: How collaboration can make work safer
1. Global standards: from intent to delivery (ISO 45001)
• Contractor management systems
• Training and competence development of supply chains
• Business OSH hazard identification and risk management
• Opportunities for continual improvement
2. Working with the business community to deliver higher standards
Topic 4: Innovation: new ways of working
1. Collaborating across disciplines to drive innovation
• How engineers and OSH professionals together can improve outcomes
• Can HR and OSH work together to bring sustainable rehabilitation?
2. Designing in safety: processes, systems and equipment
3. New technology influencing OSH in industry
Topic 5: How communicating wellbeing means healthier work (occupational and mental health)
• Cultural interpretations of wellbeing – how do we get to a common understanding?
• Is legal requirement the answer in driving improvements forward?
• How do you measure wellbeing across different work environments?
Call for papers process
Abstracts are required for all submissions of technical papers and thematic sessions. Abstracts should be written in English and must be no more than 500 words. The deadline for the submission of abstracts is midnight (GMT) on
Wednesday 13 June 2018 Monday 02 July 2018.
Authors of accepted abstracts will be asked to prepare and deliver a 20- to 30-minute presentation, in a themed technical session, at the conference. Authors of accepted abstracts will also have the option of submitting a full paper, which will be shared with delegates post-conference. Abstracts and presentations will be made available to the conference participants in electronic format. The deadline for the submission of PowerPoint presentations and full papers is 12 November 2018.
The organisers consider acceptance of a presentation as a commitment – by at least one of the authors – to register for and attend the conference to present the paper. If unforeseen circumstances prevent the author from making the presentation, it is the author’s responsibility to find an alternative presenter and to notify the organisers.
How to submit an abstract to be presented in a technical session
1. download the abstract submission form below.
2. complete and save the PDF writable form (abstracts should be no more than 500 words)
3. email your completed abstract form to [email protected]
4. the organisers will acknowledge receipt of your abstract within three days
5. abstract authors will be notified of the result no later than 13 July 2018
6. if you are successful, please register for the conference by 03 September 2018. Any authors not registered by this date will be withdrawn from the programme.